Criminal Law

Immediate assistance as you need it from highly regarded, non-judgemental experts focused on fighting your corner.

  • On-call 24/7 service for police station representation
  • Representation in magistrates, youth and Crown Court proceedings
  • Proven track record of success

Criminal Law & Defence Solicitors

HCB have expert criminal lawyers available to provide help, advice, advocacy and representation for all those suspected or accused of a crime at the Police Station and representation In the Magistrates Court, Youth Court and Crown Court. Visits can be arranged to prisoners or detainees. Help is available 24 hours a day via our Emergency Numbers

Walsall and West Midlands police areas call

07831 636673

Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Cheshire and Merseyside police areas call:

07074 237797

Advice and representation at the police station

Being arrested and kept in custody at a police station can be a frightening experience. However, remember that you are entitled to independent legal advice at any time during your period in custody and we will provide a representative to advise you in person and be with you during the interview. Getting the right advice can have a significant effect on the outcome of your case and remember that we are available 24 hours a day to provide legal advice and representation free of charge.

Representation in the Magistrates' Court

If you are aged 18 or over and have been charged with a criminal offence your case will begin with an appearance in the magistrates court. Some offences, such as minor assaults, can only be dealt with in magistrates court. This mean that if your plead not guilty you will have a trial before a bench of magistrates or a district judge.

We have a number of experienced advocates who can advise and represent you during magistrates court proceedings. Legal aid may be available depending on your means.

Representation in the Youth Court

Someone aged under 18 who is charged with a criminal offence will come before the youth court. In a small number of very serious cases the court may decide that it should be dealt with in the crown court. However, the majority of cases will remain in the youth court.

We have a number of advocates who are experienced in youth court work and legal aid will normally be available.

Representation in the Crown Court

A case comes before the crown court if it involves a very serious offence such as murder , rape or robbery or certain other offences where you have chosen to be tried before a judge and jury or the magistrates have decided that your case is so serious that it must be dealt with in the crown court. The crown court also deals with appeals against conviction and sentence from the magistrates court.

In most cases at the crown court you will be represented by a barrister instructed by HCB who will have significant experience of appearing before the crown court. HCB has an experienced and dedicated crown court department who, together with your barrister, will be acting as a team to get the best possible result for you.

Legal aid will normally be available but contributions may be payable depending on means.

Road traffic offences

Police action and court proceedings for motoring offences can affect many people who would not normally have any experience of the criminal justice system, particularly given the prevalence of speed cameras. HCB is able to offer advice and representation in relation to all rood traffic offences. Please note that legal aid is not usually available for the more common driving offences. We can advise you about your eligibility and how to pay us privately if you wish to do so.

Drink-drive offences

Sentences for drink-drive offences can range from a fine to Imprisonment, depending on the level of the alcohol reading obtained by the police. Any previous convictions will also be a relevant factor. The court is obliged to impose disqualification from driving for a minimum period of 12 months except in rare cases where special reasons apply.

Please note that failing without reasonable excuse to cooperate with a breathalyser test or other procedures for obtaining specimens for alcohol analysis is a separate offence which can also lead to disqualification and further punishment.

Disqualification under the penalty points system ('totting')

Most road traffic offences carry penalty points, If you accumulate 12 points or more during a 3 year period, you will be liable to disqualification from driving for a minimum of 6 months. It Is possible to argue that disqualification should not be imposed if it would result in exceptional hardship. We can advise you whether exceptional hardship can be successfully argued and provide representation in court.

Speeding offences

For relatively minor Infringements of the speed limit, the police can issue a fixed penalty fine and 3 points on your driving licence, which means that you would not have to attend court. More serious cases will require your attendance at court and can attract outright disqualification in addition to a fine. Please note that if the police allege a speeding offence they will send the registered owner of the vehicle a notice requesting confirmation of the driver's details. If you fall to provide these details you may be committing a separate offence.

Driving while using a mobile phone

Use of a mobile phone while driving is an offence which now carries an obligatory endorsement of 3 penalty points. We can advise you about the elements of the offence, including the meaning or the word 'using' and provide representation in court.

  • With a number of Recorders in the Crown Court or Deputy District Judges in the Magistrates’ Court and barristers the team is well represented in the judiciary