Education Law

Expert Education Law advice courtesy of the dedicated team of nationally respected specialist lawyers at HCB.

  • Comprehensive advice on all aspects of education law
  • Proven expertise in special educational needs and higher education law

Special Educational Needs help in West Sussex

Our SEN Solicitors in West Sussex have provided expert education law advice to secure special educational needs support for several children, young people and families. This can involve an appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

What are Special Educational Needs in West Sussex?

Special educational needs are any difficulty a child or young person has in accessing education. Special educational needs (SEN) affect how a person learns. The needs can affect everything from:

  • ability to understand
  • reading
  • writing
  • hearing and/or visual impairment
  • behaviour
  • physical ability
  • concentration levels
  • social skills.

If a child or young person has difficulties at school, beyond that of their peers, and need additional support, it is likely that they have special educational needs. 

If you are not sure whether your child or young person has special educational needs, you should seek specific legal advice.

West Sussex SEN teams operate under their own policies, but also must comply with the Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice 2015. Whilst the law can be complicated, in our experience the policies can overly simplify the law and confuse quite complex rules. This can result in poor decision making. That is often why parents in West Sussex seek special educational needs advice from us.

West Sussex’s SEN policies and guidance can be found here:

We would always advise parents to make sure that they focus on the Special Educational needs Code of Practice, rather than West Sussex’s SEN policies only. The SEN Code of Practice can be found here:

What is SEN Support in West Sussex?

Each local authority is required to prepare a Local Offer, setting out the SEN Support that is available in the area. West Sussex special educational needs Local Offer can be found here:

Normally, school will identify that a child or young person has special educational needs. When this happens, the class teacher and Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), will plan additional support. This follows a cycle called “Assess, Plan, Do, Review”.

If the school does not identify a pupil with special educational needs, it may be necessary to seek an EHC needs assessment of their special educational needs from the local authority.

The child, young person and their parents / guardian should be involved in discussions with the school about planning support for special educational needs. It is important to be aware that schools receive a specific amount of money – often called a Delegated Budget – to support children and young people with special educational needs. As the Delegated Budget is finite, this can often limit the amount of support that can be available unless the local authority makes an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If the child or young person needs more support than the school can provide, an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) may be needed. The school should discuss with the child, young person and their parents / guardian requesting an EHC needs assessment. It is very important to note that there is no requirement to try to cycle of Assess, Plan, Do, Review before seeking an EHC needs assessment or an Education Health and Care Plan.

How can I get an EHCP in West Sussex?

The guidance for securing an EHC needs assessment and EHCP in West Sussex can be found here:

This can be a helpful guide to know how to qualify for an EHCP in West Sussex. However, it is important to know that the local authority must comply with legal duties, as well as operating its own policies.

Before an EHCP can be issued, the local authority must make an EHC needs assessment.

At the conclusion of the EHC needs assessment, the local authority will decide whether an EHCP is necessary,

The term “necessary” has been the focus of much litigation. It means that the local authority must consider the subjective needs of the child or young person, the special educational provision that they need and whether it is reasonably likely that a mainstream school can deliver that support.

If the local authority refuses to make an EHCP, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

Where can I find SEN legal advice in West Sussex?

Our special education needs solicitors provide advice in West Sussex. To contact our specialist education lawyers, please call 02920 291 704

We have helped in the following ways:

  • securing an EHC needs assessment in West Sussex
  • securing an EHCP in West Sussex
  • Successful appeals to Tribunal against West Sussex’s refusal to make an EHCP
  • Successful appeals to Tribunal against West Sussex’s refusal to make an EHC needs assessment
  • Successfully appealing to Tribunal against West Sussex for additional support
  • Successfully appealing to Tribunal against West Sussex for specialist school places



How can we help?

Please fill in this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your name
Please enter your phone number
Please enter your email address
Please let us know how you heard about us
Please enter your enquiry
One more thing... Please enter the verification code

Please note that we cannot offer Legal Aid or ‘No win, No fee’ agreements.

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy.