Education Law Solicitors

Expert Education & SEN advice provided courtesy of our dedicated team of nationally respected specialist lawyers.

  • Comprehensive advice on all aspects of education law
  • Proven expertise in special educational needs and higher education law

Special Educational Needs help in Knowsley

What are Special Educational Needs in Knowsley?

Where a child or young person has any difficulty in accessing education, and it is affecting how they are learning, they have SEN. This not only covers difficulties with reading, writing etc, but also includes concentration levels, behaviour and social skills for example. It is also likely that the child or young person has SEN where they require support beyond that typically made for young people of the same age.   

The Children and Families Act 2014 defines special educational needs as a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. 

If you are not sure whether your child or young person has special educational needs, you should seek specific legal advice.

Whilst all local authorities must comply with the Children and Families Act 2014, and the SEND Code of Practice 2015, most local authorities, including Knowsley, operate under their own SEN policies. These policies, however, will usually over simplify the law and confuse quire complex rules and often lead to poor decision making. This is often why parents in Knowsley seek SEN advice from us. 

You can find the SEND Code of Practice here: 

 What is SEN Support in Knowsley?

Knowsley’s SEN policies and guidance can be found here: 

Details of Knowsley’s Local Offer can be found here: 

The Local Offer has been prepared by Knowsley’s special educational needs team to explain what support is available for special educational needs in Knowsley.

A child’s school will usually identify where a child has SEN and, in this scenario, the Special Educations Needs Coordinator (SENCo) within the school should plan additional support for the child. This follows a cycle called “Assess, Plan, Do, Review”.

The child, young person and their parents/guardians should liaise with the school regarding planned support for the child’s SEN. Schools receive a delegated budget to support children and young people with special educational needs, however this is finite and will often limit the support that can be available unless the local authority makes an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

In some instances, however, the school do not identify that a pupil has SEN and in this case it is necessary to request and EHC needs assessment of the child’s special educational needs from the local authority. It is also recommended that you seek an EHCP where the child or young person needs more support than the school can provide. It is important to note that there is not requirement to try the ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’ cycle before seeking an EHC needs assessment. 

How can I get an EHCP in Knowsley?

The guidance for securing an EHC needs assessment and EHCP in Knowsley can be found here: 

Whilst this guide is useful to explain how to qualify for an EHCP in Knowsley, it is important to note that the local authority also has legal duties they must comply with. 

Before the local authority will issue an EHCP, they must complete an EHC needs assessment. If the local authority determines that it is necessary for an EHCP to be implemented, one will be issued. 

The definition of the term ‘necessary’ has been the focus of much litigation. The local authority must take into consideration the special educational provision that they require, and whether a mainstream school can provide adequate support.

If the local authority does not feel that an EHCP is necessary, and refuse to issue one, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. 

Where can I find SEN legal advice in Knowsley?

Our education solicitors have helped many parents and young people across Knowsley and we have provided expert advise to secure SEN support for children, young people and families not only in Somerset, but also across the country.

If you need advice from our specialist SEN solicitors about any of the issues discussed above, please contact us on 02920 291 704.



How can we help?

Please fill in this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your name
Please enter your phone number
Please enter your email address
Please let us know how you heard about us
Please enter your enquiry
One more thing... Please enter the verification code

Please note that we cannot offer Legal Aid or ‘No win, No fee’ agreements.

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy.