Education Law Solicitors

Expert Education & SEN advice provided courtesy of our dedicated team of nationally respected specialist lawyers.

  • Comprehensive advice on all aspects of education law
  • Proven expertise in special educational needs and higher education law

Special Educational Needs help in Devon

Our expert special educational needs solicitors in Devon support families and young people across Devon to secure special educational support.  

We provide outstanding education law advice in Devon to secure special educational needs support for several children, young people and families. This can involve an appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

What are Special Educational Needs in Devon?

Special educational needs are any difficulty a learner has in accessing education. Special educational needs (SEN) affect how a person learns. The needs can affect everything from:

  • Reading / writing
  • Numeracy 
  • Processing speed
  • Memory
  • behaviour 
  • ability to understand 
  • concentration levels 
  • physical ability 
  • hearing and/or visual impairment 
  • social skills

If a child or young person has difficulties in accessing teaching, or facilities at school, and requires support beyond that typically made for young people of the same age, they likely have special educational needs.

If you are not sure if your child would qualify for SEN support in Devon, you should seek specific legal advice.

Devon SEN teams operate under their own policies, but also must comply with the Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice 2015. Whilst the law can be complicated, in our experience the policies can overly simplify the law and confuse quite complex rules. This can result in poor decision making. That is often why parents in Devon seek special educational needs advice from us. 

If the Devon SEN team relies on policies exclusively, rather than the law, this can lead to difficulties. We have extensive experience of providing special educational needs advice in Devon. We have helped several families successfully appeal to SENDIST against decisions taken by Devon SEN team.

Devon’s SEN policies and guidance about securing additional SEN support can be found here: 

We would always advise parents to make sure that they focus on the Special Educational needs Code of Practice, rather than Devon’s SEN policies only. The SEN Code of Practice can be found here:

What is SEN Support in Devon?

The main website for SEN support in Devon can be found through its local offer. That can be found here:

Normally, school will identify that a child or young person has special educational needs. When this happens, the class teacher and Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), will plan additional support. This follows a cycle called “Assess, Plan, Do, Review”.

If the school does not identify a pupil with special educational needs, it may be necessary to seek an EHC needs assessment of their special educational needs from the local authority.

The child, young person and their parents / guardian should be involved in discussions with the school about planning support for special educational needs. It is important to be aware that schools receive a specific amount of money – often called a Delegated Budget – to support children and young people with special educational needs. As the Delegated Budget is finite, this can often limit the amount of support that can be available unless the local authority makes an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

If the child or young person needs more support than the school can provide, an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) may be needed. The school should discuss with the child, young person and their parents / guardian requesting an EHC needs assessment. It is very important to note that there is no requirement to try to cycle of Assess, Plan, Do, Review before seeking an EHC needs assessment or an Education Health and Care Plan.

How can I get an EHCP in Devon?

Before an EHCP can be issued, the local authority must make an EHC needs assessment.

At the conclusion of the EHC needs assessment, the local authority will decide whether an EHCP is necessary,

The term “necessary” has been the focus of much litigation. It means that the local authority must consider the subjective needs of the child or young person, the special educational provision that they need and whether it is reasonably likely that a mainstream school can deliver that support.
If the local authority refuses to make an EHCP, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal.

Where can I find SEN legal advice in Devon?

Our special education needs solicitors provide advice in Devon. To contact our specialist education lawyers, please call 02920 291 704

We have helped in the following ways:

  • securing an EHC needs assessment in Devon
  • securing an EHCP in Devon
  • Successful appeals to Tribunal against Devon’s refusal to make an EHCP
  • Successful appeals to Tribunal against Devon’s refusal to make an EHC needs assessment
  • Successfully appealing to Tribunal against Devon for additional support
  • Successfully appealing to Tribunal against Devon for specialist school places
  • Successfully appealing against a decision by Devon to cease to maintain an EHCP



How can we help?

Please fill in this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your name
Please enter your phone number
Please enter your email address
Please let us know how you heard about us
Please enter your enquiry
One more thing... Please enter the verification code

Please note that we cannot offer Legal Aid or ‘No win, No fee’ agreements.

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy.