Education Law Solicitors

Expert Education & SEN advice provided courtesy of our dedicated team of nationally respected specialist lawyers.

  • Comprehensive advice on all aspects of education law
  • Proven expertise in special educational needs and higher education law

Special Educational Needs in Wrexham

HCB has a highly specialist team of education law solicitors on hand to assist parents encountering difficulties with their Local Authorities. Our special educational needs (SEN) solicitors help many parents and young people within Wrexham County Council and the surrounding areas in all aspects of education law and obtaining funding from the Local Authority for additional support and specialist placements.

We have provided expert education law advice in Wrexham for many years in order to secure special educational needs support for children, young people and families. The specialist education law solicitor team have dealt with Wrexham County Council on numerous matters; this can often involve an appeal being made to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal for Wales.

What are Special Educational Needs in Wrexham?

Special educational needs are any difficulty a child or young person has in accessing education. Special educational needs (SEN) affect how a person learns. The needs can affect everything from:

  • physical ability
  • concentration levels
  • ability to understand
  • hearing and/or visual impairment
  • behavioural issues
  • literacy and numeracy skills
  • social skills
  • communication and/or language impairment
  • anxiety

If a child or young person has difficulties in accessing school, education, or facilities at school and requires support beyond that typically made for young people of the same age, they likely have special educational needs. This would also include a recognised disability under the Equality Act 2010.

If you are unsure as to whether your child or young person has special educational needs, you should seek specific legal advice from a specialist education law solicitor.

The City and County of Wrexham has their own policies, but also must comply with the Education Law 1996 and the SEN Code of Practice for Wales. Whilst the law can be complicated, in our experience the policies can over-simplify the law and confuse quite complex rules. This can result in poor decision making. That is often why parents in Wrexham seek special educational needs advice from us.

If the SEN Department in Wrexham Local Education Authority relies on policies exclusively, rather than the law, this can lead to improper decision-making and we have helped several families successfully appeal to SENTW against decisions taken by Wrexham County Council SEN team.

Wrexham’s SEN policies and guidance can be found here:

It is always advisable for parents to make sure that they focus on the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice and current legislation, rather than Wrexham Council’s SEN policies only. The SEN Code of Practice can be found here:

What is SEN Support in Wrexham?

The school hopefully would identify that a child or young person has special educational needs. When this happens, the class teacher and Additional Learning Needs Coordinator (ALNCo), will plan and arrange additional support from its own budget and resources.

If the school does not identify a pupil as having special educational needs, it may be necessary to seek a statutory assessment of their special educational needs from Wrexham County Council. Our specialist team of education law solicitors can assist with this.

If the child or young person needs more support than the school can provide, a Statement of SEN may be needed. The school should discuss with the child, young person and their parents/ guardian requesting an assessment. It is very important to note that there is no requirement to try the graduated response of School Action or School Action Plus before seeking a statutory assessment or a Statement of SEN.

How can I get a Statement in Wrexham?

The guidance for securing a statutory assessment and Statement of Special Educational Needs in Wrexham can be found here:

This can be a helpful guide to know how to qualify for a Statement of SEN in Wrexham. However, it is important to know that the Local Education Authority must comply with legal duties, as well as operating its own policies.

Before a Statement of SEN can be issued, Wrexham County Council must make a statutory assessment.

At the conclusion of the assessment, Wrexham County Council will decide whether a Statement of SEN is necessary based on legal criteria it is bound by; not just its own policies.

The term “necessary” has been the focus of much litigation. It means that the Local Authority must consider the subjective needs of the child or young person, the special educational provision that they need and whether it is reasonably likely that a mainstream school can deliver that support from its own resources.

If the Authority refuses to make and maintain a Statement to cater for the child’s additional learning needs, you can appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal for Wales.

Where can I find SEN legal advice in Wrexham?

Our special educational needs solicitors provide advice in Wrexham. To contact our specialist education lawyer team, please call 02920 291 704 or email

We have helped in the following ways:

  • Formally requesting a statutory assessment from Wrexham County Council
  • Successful appeals to Tribunal against Wrexham’s refusal to issue a Statement of SEN
  • Successful appeals to Tribunal against Wrexham’s refusal to conduct a statutory assessment
  • Successfully appealing to Tribunal against Wrexham for additional support
  • Successfully appealing to Tribunal against Wrexham for specialist and/or independent school placements



How can we help?

Please fill in this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your name
Please enter your phone number
Please enter your email address
Please let us know how you heard about us
Please enter your enquiry
One more thing... Please enter the verification code

Please note that we cannot offer Legal Aid or ‘No win, No fee’ agreements.

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy.