- Alcester Office +44 (0)1789 765522
- Bedford Office +44 (0)1234 400000
- Birmingham, New St. Office +44 (0)121 270 5666
- Birmingham, Newhall St. Office +44 (0)121 703 2606
- Bristol Office +44 (0)1454 275 190
- Cardiff Office +44 (0)29 2240 8700
- Evesham Office +44 (0)1386 425300
- Gatwick Office +44 (0)1293 602890
- Harrow Office +44 (0)20 8907 4366
- Leicester Office +44 (0)116 255 9911
- Leigh Office +44 (0)1942 673311
- Lichfield Office +44 (0)1543 414426
- Luton Office +44 (0)1582 720175
- Northampton Office +44 (0)1604 233 200
- Redditch Office +44 (0)1527 406363
- Solihull Office +44 (0)121 705 2255
- Stopsley Office +44 (0)1582 453 366
- Sutton Coldfield Office +44 (0)121 355 6118
- Tunbridge Wells Office +44 (0)1892 553090
- Walkden Office +44 (0)161 790 1411
- Walsall Office +44 (0)1922 720000
- Warrington Office +44 (0)1925 632267
- Westhoughton Office +44 (0)1942 816515
- Whitefield Office +44 (0)161 796 7920
- Wigan Office +44 (0)1942 244294
Patents exist to protect how inventions work, the functions they perform and how they are made. A patent grants the inventor a right to prevent anyone without permission from manufacturing, selling, distributing or using their invention.
In order to qualify for a patent, an invention needs to be original, include an ‘inventive step’ that is not clearly evident to anyone with knowledge on the subject allowing them to easily make an effective copy, and has to be able to be used or made within some form of industry.
Patents cannot be any works covered under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988; they can’t be a science or mathematics based theory, method or discovery; a variety of plant or animal or a method of diagnosing or treating a medical condition. In fact, there are a few things they can’t be, which means an in-depth understanding of this area of law is needed so as not to waste time and money on futile patent applications.
Identifying and Protecting your Patents: Part of the HCB Service
At HCB Solicitors, our advice on the identification and protection of inventions that can be deemed patentable forms part of our close relationship-based service offered to our brand owning business clients.
Because we are all about getting to know your business, we’ll achieve a sound understanding of your commercial goals. So if you are in the development stage of a new product, and we see the opportunity for it to be patented, we’ll let you know and then walk you down the road of registration so that it becomes a valuable business asset which is protected from the threat of competitors.
Whether your invention stems from a scientific industry; mechanical; engineering; electronic; information technology or biotechnology, we can provide strategic advice on all UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO), European Patent Office and International Trademark matters, including:
- Patent register checks
- Patent applications
- Patent protection
- Defending patent actions
- Action against patent breaches and counterfeit goods
- Advice on ‘freedom to practice’
- Patent renewals
- Trademark watching
- Licence negotiations and transfers
- Trademark portfolio management
At HCB our service is focused on securing your protection and maximising your brand’s commercial viability. And we’ll step in at a moment’s notice if there is evidence of your patent being at risk, tenaciously defending your intellectual property assets to whatever extent necessary.
Leaders in their Field
A dedicated team of intellectual property specialists offering advice and representation to clients
Talk to HCB about patents and you’ll be assured of reliable advice, support and knowledge in this complex discipline of intellectual property law. Our existing clients will testify in support of our expertise.