HCB Group is widely respected across the UK for its expertise in a range of niche sectors including care homes, dentists and education.

  • Nationally respected legal specialists
  • Long term experience and expert sector knowledge
  • Cultivating enduring client relationships

Buying or Renting

In most cases if your charity wants to buy or rent premises from which to operate it can do so provided this is allowed by the governing document. Even if there is no power to buy or hold land in your charity's rules, you can still rely on something called the 'statutory power'.

However, if the charity wishes to buy or rent from a trustee (or relative of a trustee), permission will need to be sought from the Charity Commission. The charity will also need permission if a permanent endowment will be used to purchase leasehold property although the rules relating to use of permanent endowments in general have recently been relaxed.

If the charity wishes to purchase land as an investment (and it is usually larger charities which choose to do so) your governing document must specifically allow such an investment. If it does not, it may still be possible to come up with a solution.


How can we help?

Please fill in this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your name
Please enter your phone number
Please enter your email address
Please let us know how you heard about us
Please enter your enquiry
One more thing... Please enter the verification code

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see ourPrivacy Policy.